South Australia's Heritage at Work
"Crafers Summit" railway station was built in 1883 for a cost
of £168. Later, it's name was changed to the more renowned "Mount
Lofty". At one time, up to thirty trains a day used the station which
sits on the highest point of the line between Adelaide and Melbourne.
The grades entering the yard from both sides are visibly steep and have
tested the mettle of steam and diesel locomotives and their drivers throughout
the last 120 years.
The opening of the Hills railway and the building of the
station was a catalyst for development in the area. The next twenty
years saw the surrounding valley change from open Australian 'bush'
to a more European landscape. The building of large "summer"
homes and residencies with carefully tended gardens slowly replaced
earlier land uses such as market gardening. The mature gardens that
characterise the area today are a legacy of this period.
years saw the use of many of these larger buildings change to meet
demand for holiday accommodation and they became guest houses.
It is this era that the new use of the Mount Lofty
regular passenger services ceased and the property began a gradual
decline towards becoming neglected and derelict. Structural restoration
was performed as part of a Commonwealth training scheme in 1994
and the interior underwent an extensive refurbishment for its present
use in 1999.
architecture is a representative design used widely throughout the
South Australian Railways' system during the latter part of the
1800's. The type of construction, from local stone with brick or
stone quoins, can also be seen throughout the district.
Railway Station 2 Sturt Valley Rd. Stirling
Adelaide Hills - South Australia
Ph: +61 8 8339 7400